While you are busy gathering together school supplies, loading up backpacks, and packing lunches…here are the top 10 essentials for your parenting backpack. Have these supplies ready before the first day of school. These supplies are in no particular order of importance BUT it is critical that you have them with you each and every day this school year.
- Eraser – give grace and forgiveness for your child’s inevitable mistakes, failures, and sins. Use this daily, several times a day.
- Whiteout – ask your child for forgiveness for your parenting mistakes, failures, and sins. Use this daily, several times a day.
- Calendar – intentionally plan and prioritize FAMILY time amidst the busyness.
- Pencil – literally or figuratively write down the memories. Take pictures, journal, blog…do whatever you do to capture the present before it quickly becomes the past.
- Notebook – gather together the highs and lows of this school year for these too shall pass and the next one will be quickly upon us before we know it.
- Glasses – truly SEE your child at the beginning and end of each day. Remember that God gave you your child and enjoy whatever age or stage he/she is in.
- Glue – at some point, your child will have a broken heart, broken trust, or broken friendship. Glue the pieces back together through your presence, empathy, and loving support.
- Headphones – truly LISTEN to whatever your child shares with you about his/her day…even if it may feel eye-rolling worthy. Do not interrupt or interject; simply listen first without judgment or advice.
- Crayons – bring color into your world and have FUN! You’re never too old to be young at heart.
- Ruler – daily measure and assess how you are doing as a parent. Do not be overly harsh or critical with yourself. Instead, use the ruler to see where you can grow, how you are doing, and track your progress.
Looking forward to a GREAT school year with you!